If you notice a dull complexion, there is one likely culprit – dehydration. Dehydration is a skin condition that is characterized by a lack of moisture. You need to be aware that dehydration can wreak visible havoc on your face. Take the necessary steps.
Here are the steps to healthy and hydrated skin:
The first step is the diagnosis. Before diagnosing, you should probe deeper. Dehydration is caused by many external factors but the most common are diet, weather, environment and caffeine consumption. These factors can result in the skin’s diminished water content.
You can test whether your skin is dehydrated or not by simply pinching your cheek. If it is creasing with gentle pressure instead of holding its shape, it indicates that your skin cells are anxious for water. Common signs of dehydrated skin include inflammation, congestion, and redness.
The second step is treatment. In general, hydration is the key if your skin is suffering from dehydration. To help you get started, you should consider the following hydrating skincare products:
- Exfoliation: exfoliating is the process of removing dead skin cells from your skin’s surface. This is important because it gets rid of dead skin accumulation thereby diminishing the absorption of the moisturisers. With this, it is crucial that you exfoliate at least once a week to effectively remove dead skin cells. As a result, it allows the moisturiser to work better.
- Serum: if you are serious about hydrating the skin, you should aim for serums. You have to be aware though that serums are not moisturisers. The ideal serum contains hyaluronic acid, which can address dehydration. You should look for serums that contain avocado peptides, which can boost the ability of the skin to produce hyaluronic acid.
- Moisturiser: even if you are just inside, heated air causes loss of moisture during sleep. With this, you need to use a heavier moisturiser before sleeping. It is ideal to find heavier oil-free and noncomedogenic moisturiser.
The last step is maintenance. Your effort should not stop after the treatment – it should continue. Keep in mind that drinking fluids and applying the right skin care products can correct a dehydrated state. Hydrating the skin will lead to skin cells swelling and this is a good thing because it can minimise the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. In general, it will make you look less tired.
Aside from skincare products, there are best practices that you should consider. Best practices include the following:
- Pay attention to the seasons: it is important to note that humidity and temperature changes affect the way your skin looks and behaves. Winter is particularly harsh because of the low humidity. During winter or low humidity, it is crucial to create a specific regimen to soothe the skin.
- Drink a lot of water: drinking water seems obvious but many take this for granted. At the bare minimum, you should drink eight glasses of water per day. By drinking plenty of fluids and eating water-rich fruits, you are maintaining internal hydration.
- Think about a humidifier: as mentioned, low humidity can take a toll on your skin’s health. You can consider putting a humidifier to keep the air humid so the skin does not release moisture.